squeak packages in ubuntu 7.10

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Mon Oct 15 22:08:56 UTC 2007

Jens Lincke <jens.lincke at hpi.uni-potsdam.de> writes:
> I meant that squeak 3.7.7 package which comes with ubuntu
> (http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/interpreters/squeak-vm)
> was based on LinEx packages. I use my own squeak package 3.9.8
> (http://impara.de/~jens/ubuntu/) that is based
> on them and was build for squeakland.
>
> I havn't yet looked at Matejs packages.

Interesting, two more sets of deb's.  We should find a way to work
together on this, guys.

I and Matej have spoken with the maintainers of the Ubuntu packages.
All four of us seem interested in merging in theory, but nobody has
yet done anything.

There are parts of each set of debs that seems nice:

  1. The Ubuntu packages have a lot of desktop files so that Squeak
  integrates nicely with many desktops.

  2. The Debian packages have a better package naming scheme.

  3. The Debian packages have a better startup script.

I have not looked at the LinEx packages nor at Jens' so cannot comment
on those.

Info on the Debian packages, including the naming layout and the man
page and rationale for the startup script, are here:

  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3616
  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5643

What do you think, guys?  It would be nice to join efforts
and synchronize.

-Lex