Win32 VM 3.10.6 problem with special characters

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Oct 17 09:28:20 UTC 2007

On Oct 17, 2007, at 6:05 , Andreas Raab wrote:

>>> Why not let the VM return the encoding string from a system
>>> attribute?
>>   Oh yeah, I now remember that.  We can define four different
>> primitives (keyboard, clip board, file path name, and preferred file
>> contents).  Having the VM version is sometimes useful, though.
>
> To which the answers would be: UTF-8, UTF-8, UTF-8 and, err,
> UTF-8 ;-) (Seriously, I fail to see the need for four different
> primitives given that UTF-8 is so prevalent today and has easy
> conversions on every known platform under the sun)

I don't need more than one for OLPC. The keyboard thing is solved by
the utf32 charcode field in keyboard events. Clipboard has a new
plugin anyway. File path encoding is the only one remaining, because
"preferred file contents" is of questionable utility.

But, the Asian folks used to violently disagree, and adding multiple
sys attribs is cheap. Yoshiki, can you explain again why we need
everything separately?

- Bert -