[OT] OLPC in FTD

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Oct 17 10:13:01 UTC 2007

On Oct 17, 2007, at 7:10 , Blake wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 15:45:36 -0700, Andreas Raab
> <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Alexander Lazarević wrote:
>>> http://www.tagesschau.de/multimedia/video/video221108.html
>>
>> Nice segment. The only thing that left me wondering is who Ananda
>> Prakash (which is probably spelled wrongly but it's the name they
>> displayed during the segment) is and what qualifies him to play a
>> "computer expert criticizing the OLPC project" on German TV.
>
> Well, if it's anything like here (in the USA), he's some guy that
> the producers know who was willing to say something negative to
> give the appearance of balance. That's really all the
> qualifications you need.

Well it looks like he is in the laptop selling business so he
obviously qualifies as "computer expert".

For those who don't understand German: his critique is that the
laptops will be taken from the kids and sold, which he knows because
he is from Venezuela.

Other than that it was indeed a nice presentation (even though they
mentioned "drawing program" while showing an Etoys car following a
road). That footage was about a German pilot project in an Ethiopian
school.

- Bert -