squeak packages in ubuntu 7.10

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Wed Oct 17 12:43:44 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-15 at 18:08 -0400, Lex Spoon wrote:
> Jens Lincke <jens.lincke at hpi.uni-potsdam.de> writes:
> > I meant that squeak 3.7.7 package which comes with ubuntu
> > (http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/interpreters/squeak-vm)
> > was based on LinEx packages. I use my own squeak package 3.9.8
> > (http://impara.de/~jens/ubuntu/) that is based
> > on them and was build for squeakland.
> >
> > I havn't yet looked at Matejs packages.
>

> Interesting, two more sets of deb's.  We should find a way to work
> together on this, guys.
>
> I and Matej have spoken with the maintainers of the Ubuntu packages.
> All four of us seem interested in merging in theory, but nobody has
> yet done anything.
>

> There are parts of each set of debs that seems nice:
>
>   1. The Ubuntu packages have a lot of desktop files so that Squeak
>   integrates nicely with many desktops.
>
>   2. The Debian packages have a better package naming scheme.
>
>   3. The Debian packages have a better startup script.

There should be no problem with merging. 2. and 3. don't read as
being questionable. If people are annoyed by the desktop integration
of ubuntu this could be a dialog option during install. That is the
way debian/ubuntu treat such problems most of the time.

my 2 ... (your currency/100)

regards,

Norbert