Multy-core CPUs

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Oct 19 00:20:39 UTC 2007

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 06:36:00PM +0300, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> Then i think, it would be good to make some steps towards supporting
> multiple images by single executable:
> - make single executable capable of running a number of images in
> separate native threads.
> This will save memory resources and also could help in making
> inter-image messaging not so costly.

What memory and resources do you think that you will save? Squeak
already does almost exactly what you describe when you run it on a
unix/linux/OSX platform. Putting the interpreters into separate
threads (as opposed to unix processes) would at best save a trivial
amount of memory, and would add a lot of complexity.

I don't see any savings for inter-image messaging either, but
maybe I'm missing something there.

Dave