Squeak vs. privacy

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Fri Oct 19 01:28:40 UTC 2007

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:42:04 -0700, Jason Johnson
<jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/18/07, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> And i don't think that this is worth at all. Try think different, try
>> use best of ST powers and don't try to apply usage patterns from other
>> languages.
>> This is common mistake trying to use same approaches for different
>> environments.
>
> A big +1.  This is the number 1 mistake most people make evaluating
> new languages.  They go try to do what they used to do in their old
> language, in the same way they used to do it and go "see!  I knew my
> old language was better!".  The main reason for trying out a new
> language should be to play to it's strengths and see where you get.

Well, as I said when I introduced the topic, I was toying with this very
idea.

Should one have to work so hard to make private methods?

It does nothing for other forms of protection, such as allowing ancestral
access, sibling access, class access.

Maybe that's not important, of course.