For Serious Software Developers Only was: Re: Multy-core CPUs

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Fri Oct 19 15:19:46 UTC 2007

David Corking wrote:
> On 10/19/07, Alan Grimes  wrote:
> > > What will it take to get the Squeak/Croquet/Smalltalk community to
> > > commit to an evolutionary path through things like Spoon and Plurion
> > > that lead to disruptive innovation?
> >
> > first google hit: http://www.plurion.co.uk/ ???
>
> namespace collision :)

Back in 2001 when I registered Plurion as a trademark Google didn't
return any hits. I already knew how important multi-cores would be so it
seemed like a good name. Anybody interested in parallel Smalltalk should
take a look at the J-Machine and find out more about Concurrent
Aggregates:

http://cva.stanford.edu/projects/j-machine/

This has a picture of Smalltalk (with Lisp syntax, but this was at MIT
after all) running on 1024 processors. And as Jerry Pournelle likes to
say, "what man has achieved, man can aspire to".

> I think Laurence means
>
> http://www.merlintec.com/merlin6/e_main.html
> http://www.merlintec.com/download/plurion.pdf  (2005 - reputedly very
> out of date)

The overall architecture has not changed, but the individual cores are
now like this:

http://www.merlintec.com:8080/hardware/RISC42

-- Jecel