For Serious Software Developers Only was: Re: Multy-core CPUs

Peter William Lount peter at smalltalk.org
Sun Oct 21 03:36:31 UTC 2007

Hi,

> Call me a cynical bastard but unless I can go down to the local
> mega-mart and buy one for $1,000, or even $10,000, in a usable form, it
> doesn't even exist, period.

How about we just say that your point of view is very practical... So if
Tilera were to make it's 64 processor chip board for a PC available for
less than $1,000 you'd buy it? Or would it really have to be from the
local mega-mart too rather than direct?

When Tilera makes their Tile-64 processor available to anyone then
you'll be able to buy it and shove a Tilera Tile-64 board
(http://tilera.com/products/boards.php) into your PC to run with a 64
processor chip!!! In fact they claim to be able to put two 64 processor
chips on one expansion board.

Let's all contact Tilera (http://tilera.com) politely and ask them how
much a development system card is and when they will ship it. If you are
serious tell them you'd like to buy one today and have them ship it today!

     Tilera Corporation
     1900 West Park Drive
     Suite 290
     Westborough, Massachusetts 01581
     Phone: (508) 616-9300
     Fax: (508) 616-9306

They also have a contact form.
http://tilera.com/company/contact_form.php. If you are serious about
buying a board to develop parallel applications with ask them for a
sales contact.

It's getting real folks. Let's get Smalltalk ready to handle the new
large N-Core hardware wave that is upon us!!!

All the best,

Peter William Lount
peter at smalltalk.org