Scalability [was: Multy-core CPUs]

Sebastian Sastre ssastre at seaswork.com
Tue Oct 23 17:50:58 UTC 2007

> > But, the way I understand the present multi-core CPU thread, Squeak
> > people aim to save the multi-core processing world by
> reinventing it
> > :-D
> >
> Of course not. I have read somewhere a description of system
> which uses such 'micro-kernel' architecture in mind. A system
> divided in parts which communicate by establishing a
> 'contracts' - some kind of agreement between system parts on
> protocols and  security.
>
> A Multi-Core CPU's working in parallel by having own 'private' memory
> (cache) and shared memory. Why then VM can't do the same? All
> we need to do, is to put this in use.

I think because we don't have a machinery to comunicate VM's without
disrupting the user experience or making the N-cores thing to make a real
difference. But if a machinery for that is found acceptable enough for most
problems domains then it will become appealing (as the N spoons idea).

Cheers,

Sebastian