[vm] Large Frame size

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Tue Oct 23 20:50:32 UTC 2007

Rob Withers schrieb:
> I have a need for a larger frame size.  I am defining internal temps
> for some changes I am making with macro transformations, and I ran
> into the limit of the frame size when compiling some method in the
> image.   So what would be a good frame size for the large frame?
> Could someone guide me as to what I would need to change in the vm to
> support this?  Will I need to use the SystemTracer to get an image
> prepared for using them and avoiding problems with the old large frame
> size going away?

An easier solution might be to modify the compiler to stuff some temps
into an Array and generate code to access that Array where you would
normally generate temp var accesses. That way, you don't have to change
the VM, and the cost would only be paid for the very few methods
exceeding Squeak's large frame size.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin