Multy-core CPUs, ERLANG

Peter William Lount peter at smalltalk.org
Thu Oct 25 00:10:41 UTC 2007

Jason Johnson wrote:
> On 10/23/07, Peter William Lount <peter at smalltalk.org> wrote:
>
>> Of course one could also implement a copy-on-write-bit for objects in
>> the "read-only-shared-top-level-object-space-of-the-image". In order to
>> accomplish any work a process must be forked! Also, this way any process
>> that forks off will need to copy all of the objects it modifies into
>> it's own private object-space until the process commits it's changes
>> into the top level object-space or until it aborts.
>>

> Once again I have no idea what you're talking about.  I guess you're
> not responding to me with this, since the system I'm talking about
> would not commit any changes back to a top level process.
>

>> Concurrency isn't like automatic garbage collection - which is actually
>> quite broad and complex a field - at all.
>>

> *sigh*.  Ok, if you're going to respond to things I say, please read
> what I write.  Speed reading obviously isn't working.  I said message
> passing is *ANALOGOUS*.
>
> analogous
>
> adjective
> 1. 	similar or equivalent in some respects though otherwise
> dissimilar; "brains and computers are often considered analogous";
> "salmon roe is marketed as analogous to caviar"
>
> Manual memory management is hard to do and does not scale or compose
> well as explained in the email I originally linked to.
>
> Shared state fine grained locking is hard to do and does not scale or
> compose well as explained in the email I originally linked to.

Hi,

Yes I read what you said. I simply don't think they are analogous.

Certainly the parallels that you see between them are not clear from
your analogy since this reader didn't get it.

Many things don't scale well, or don't compose well in computer science.
It doesn't mean that they are all analogous.

Now I've not yet had a chance to read the PDF pointed to by Jon Hylands
but it seems to me that they are more dissimilar than similar.

Peter