Concurrency problems/solutions (was Re: Multy-core CPUs)

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 04:39:21 UTC 2007

Hi all,

There has been a lot of discussion about concurrency, and what tends
to happen is we all have ideas in our head of what we want solved and
why a given solution can/can't solve it.

So what I propose is, we come up with concurrency problems and then
how we would solve them in the different methodologies.  With code. :)

Of course it is important to be specific.  An example is the "million
node" problem highlighted by Peter.  I would need to know what this
data is, where it comes from and so on so I can determine if any one
node should *ever* have the graph at once.

This is another challenge, it will be tempting to make assumptions
about what can be done with the data.  Please don't. :)  You may have
some reason you think the data can't be partitioned, but perhaps it
can.

I'm curious to see how other solutions solve the various problems out
there, and before I go do a bunch of work on the Actor model I would
love to see if there are any cases it really can't deal with.

Thanks,
Jason