Multi-threaded VM

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 00:53:18 UTC 2007

On 10/27/07, Rob Withers <reefedjib at yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]

Hi Rob.

I think that many other people would be interested in this. I suggest making
stage 3 here a separate project in its own right. If it is stable and works
well, I could see it becoming the official Squeak VM. Also keep integration
with Exupery in mind.

I also recommend starting this project by changing the behaviour of
ProcessorScheduler to behave in the same way as the multi-threaded VM.
Currently code can assume that a lower priority process won't run while a
higher priority process is busy; this assumption would no longer exist in
the multi-threaded VM. This would be a reasonably simple change and I
believe this may pick up several concurrency issues in the image.

Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/