Support for older versions [was: Re: Proposed 3.8.2 updates]

Giovanni Corriga giovanni at corriga.net
Sat Oct 27 10:13:04 UTC 2007

Il giorno ven, 26/10/2007 alle 15.31 +0200, Michael Rueger ha scritto:
> Damien Cassou wrote:
> > Why don't you switch to 3.9 or 3.10?
>
> Reasons that have to do with reality outside universities:
>
> 1) a lot of people still use 3.8 so I continue to try to maintain it. I
> think that is called support.

Speaking of support, maybe it's time for the community to estabilish a
proper protocol for support. With this I mean what should happen to the
older versions when a new Squeak version is released.

I propose we steal a page from the *BSD and Debian books and have three
supported versions at every time: a stable, a current and a development
one. When a new development version is complete, it becomes the new
current version, the current version becomes the new stable one and the
stable one becomes legacy. Stable and current versions are guarenteed to
receive bug fixes (the stable one should receive only fixes for security
and major bugs), while there's no such warranty for the legacy versions.

Applied to the current situation, this would mean that 3.8.x is the
stable version right now, 3.9 is the current version while 3.10 is the
development version. When version 3.10 is released, 3.9 will become the
stable version, 3.10 the current one and 3.11 (or 4.0?) the next
development one. 3.8 could continue receiving bug fixes, if there's
someone who decides to produce them.

What do you think? Could a system be put in place?

	Ciao,

		Giovanni