[Q] Linux and localAddress

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Oct 29 10:39:15 UTC 2007

On Oct 29, 2007, at 10:44 , Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> Folks:
>
> I playing with Linux and wish know why World reportLocalAddress report
> 127.0.01 and ifconfig on Linux console gives me 192.168.1.4.

I doubt that - ifconfig most certainly gives you *both*, 127.0.0.1
and 192.168.1.4.

> The Linux is SimplyMepis 6.5, installing from his repositories
> ( via console
> synaptic package manager) brings me Squeak 3.8, and I figure out how
> transfer and run the 3.10 needed files
>
> The computer is on small Lan connected to router with Mac and
> Windows, so I
> could test Squeak 3.10 on the three systems.
>
> Any lead ?

The old socket plugin only supported returning one address, it picked
the first one, and depending on how your Linux box is configured,
could pick the wrong one.

Ian Piumarta extended the plugin to actually support getting more
addresses, it is in his latest sources. I think work is underway to
port this to other platforms. To use the extended primitives you need
new support code, which is ... somewhere, Michael Rüger did that.
It's in the OLPC image, for example (which needed to support IPv6 and
that was the reason for the new plugin).

- Bert -