Concurrent Futures

Rob Withers reefedjib at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 30 19:41:08 UTC 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com

> >  These are
> > PassByConstruction objects, which means they are always local.   PassByCopy
> > is another type of PassByConstruction, where a copy is marshalled to the
> > other side.
>
> Hmm i can't follow you here. Could you elaborate?

Sorry, this is terminology from E.  They have a whole terminology describing how objects get passed over the wire between Vats.

http://erights.org/elib/distrib/obj-passing.html
http://erights.org/elib/concurrency/refmech.html

The restriction that PassByCopy objects are selfless, immutable and transparent certainly apply to SmallIntegers, true, false, and nil.  I don't know about Characters, but that is their terminology.  We can define ourselves.

Rob