Concurrent Futures

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 20:37:15 UTC 2007

On 10/29/07, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> Not "all messages sends". Only messages between concurrent entities
> (islands). This is the main difference to the all-out actors model
> (where each object is its own unit of concurrency) and has the advantage
> that you can reuse all of todays single-threaded code.

I hope you, or anyone else are not under the impression that I am
pushing for an "all-out" actors model.  I want actor sending to be as
explicit as Croquet futures are.  And this would mean the same; all of
today's single-threaded code continues to work.

> The similarity is striking. Both in terms of tradeoffs (trade low-level
> control for better productivity) as well as the style of arguments made
> against it ;-)

I see the similarity! :)

>Not that I mind by the way, I find these discussions
> necessary.

Ah good, I assumed you had kill-filed me for this one, if not before. :)