SqueakMap crashes in 3.10 beta.7158

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Oct 31 10:24:45 UTC 2007

El 10/30/07 10:22 PM, "Chris Muller" <asqueaker at gmail.com> escribió:

> Edgar, you are sounding way too tyrannical here.  As the developer of
the
> "next Squeak" please find the idea of "software freedom" in your
heart asap.
> Help people integrate what they need and want, don't tell
them they're wrong
> for wanting something you don't care about.

> And for the last time...

> truly hope this *is* the last time we hear something so ridiculous
from you.
> There are many avid Squeakers who do not use Universes.  I
happen to be one of
> them.  SqueakMap is a great Squeak legacy and
allows stuff to be loaded into a
> clean image.  Universes, to me,
sounds a bit misguided, and far from making
> rendering SqueakMap
obsolete.

I never said SquekMap is obsolete or you don't could use it.

The question is :

People want a smaller image (less packages in base) as we have now ?
And this smaller image could load any Squeak code from past and future ?

If the answer is not,  people should download ready to use images , like the
excellent of Damien for 3.10.
Or 3.8.2 full if this suits his needs.

If the answer is yes, people should encourage guys trying to reach this.
Meaning some sacrifices are needed.

Today you could use SqueakMap , Universes , Installer and Monticello as ways
to load code into 3.10.

I hope in futures Squeak you don't have any (image could don't have this 4
packages) .

And still you should have a way to load again one or all this plus any you
wish.

In the distant future, Squeak become Spoon, all you need is type "I want
mp3" for cite some people request recently and   not more into 3.10.

And this NeXtqueak could intellingent load any needed code.

Like my vision ?

Edgar