SqueakMap crashes in 3.10 beta.7158

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Oct 31 11:02:27 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 06:01:44AM +0100, Jason Johnson wrote:
> On 10/31/07, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > SqueakMap is a great Squeak legacy and
> > allows stuff to be loaded into a clean image.  Universes, to me,
> > sounds a bit misguided, and far from making rendering SqueakMap
> > obsolete.
>
> I'm confused here.  As far as I know:
>
> SqueakMap is a tool that allows one to load a package into an image
> Universes is a tool that allows one to load a package into an image,
> but is more sophisticated (e.g. understands dependencies).
>
> Please correct me if I'm wrong, because by that definition SqueakMap
> appears to be clearly obsolete from a technical point of view.

Yes, you are confused. SqueakMap is a catalogue of available stuff
that may or may not be appropriate for the image you are running.
Universes define collections of stuff from SqueakMap (and elsewhere)
that will probably work with the image you are running. These are
completely different goals, and the two are complementary.

Portraying SqueakMap and Universes as competitors is very unhelpful.
It is likely to discourage much-needed improvements to SqueakMap,
and it comes across (at least to me) as unappreciative of the work
of the people who have developed and supported it.

Dave