SqueakMap crashes in 3.10 beta.7158

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 20:16:04 UTC 2007

On 10/31/07, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> Yes, you are confused. SqueakMap is a catalogue of available stuff
> that may or may not be appropriate for the image you are running.
> Universes define collections of stuff from SqueakMap (and elsewhere)
> that will probably work with the image you are running. These are
> completely different goals, and the two are complementary.

Well, that may be, but I'm pretty sure that most people use it as a
way of loading packages into their system.  And that functionality is
clearly less functional then universes.

> Portraying SqueakMap and Universes as competitors is very unhelpful.
> It is likely to discourage much-needed improvements to SqueakMap,
> and it comes across (at least to me) as unappreciative of the work
> of the people who have developed and supported it.
>
> Dave

Do people in other fields get so emotionally attached to their tools?
It's hard to imagine someone holding a hammer getting offended if I
say that it's easier to cut boards in half with a saw.

Of course I appreciate the work that has been done and the people who
have made this all possible.  And I appreciate that SqueakMap remains
a good catalog of everything ever made for Smalltalk.  But as a "I'm
new to Squeak and want to load packages into my image" solution, it's
no longer the best option.