SqueakMap crashes in 3.10 beta.7158

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Wed Oct 31 20:33:49 UTC 2007

Hi folks!

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 06:01:44AM +0100, Jason Johnson wrote:
>> On 10/31/07, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > SqueakMap is a great Squeak legacy and
>> > allows stuff to be loaded into a clean image.  Universes, to me,
>> > sounds a bit misguided, and far from making rendering SqueakMap
>> > obsolete.
>>
>> I'm confused here.  As far as I know:
>>
>> SqueakMap is a tool that allows one to load a package into an image
>> Universes is a tool that allows one to load a package into an image,
>> but is more sophisticated (e.g. understands dependencies).
>>
>> Please correct me if I'm wrong, because by that definition SqueakMap
>> appears to be clearly obsolete from a technical point of view.
>
> Yes, you are confused. SqueakMap is a catalogue of available stuff
> that may or may not be appropriate for the image you are running.
> Universes define collections of stuff from SqueakMap (and elsewhere)
> that will probably work with the image you are running. These are
> completely different goals, and the two are complementary.
>
> Portraying SqueakMap and Universes as competitors is very unhelpful.
> It is likely to discourage much-needed improvements to SqueakMap,
> and it comes across (at least to me) as unappreciative of the work
> of the people who have developed and supported it.
>
> Dave

I am at large staying out of this discussion I think, but a few comments:

- Yes, they are different and should be complementary as they stand today.
- Yes, they also do overlap in many ways and could possibly be merged into
a single system, this has by the way been proposed by me and Brian Rice at
at least one point.
- I have had very little time moving SM forward and have also repeatedly
tried to round up interest in helping out on that "new SM" (not much luck
there though).
- I *personally* have some slight doubts about maintaining multiple
universes. I think most package maintainers have just energy enough to
maintain their package in ONE place, not multiple. I don't have a good
answer to that problem other than that if I had endless time to spend I
would make a new SM3 that "does Universes too" and thus could
theoretically replace both SM and Universes. But I don't have that time.
:)

regards, Göran