Thoughts on a concurrent Squeak VM (was: Re: Concurrent Futures)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Oct 31 23:37:47 UTC 2007

On 31-Oct-07, at 9:39 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 31/10/2007, Rob Withers <reefedjib at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Andreas,
>>
>> What about using C++?  There would be some degradation of
>> performance.
>> However, there would be the benefit of structuring the VM classes,
>> of not
>> having to add VM as an argument everywhere, and it may even be
>> possible to
>> subclass Thread so we know where the thread-local storage is.
>>
> I'd rather prefer to make modifications to slang to be able to
> generate VM sources for any target language/platform and keep platform
> dependent code in image instead in separate file(s). This all to
> simplify build process and to keep all things together.

Hah!

Once upon a time we had platform code 'files' in the image. In
particular, the Mac files. Everyone else had to go through irritating
and time consuming gymnastics to build a vm.

You couldn't edit these 'files' sensibly because Squeaks text editing
ad gc has conniptions when you try to edit large strings. The changes
log got polluted by massive chunks of text with each edit.  It was not
fun. People complained incessantly about not having  vm code in a
sourcecode control system. The they still bitch about not having all
the vm code that way, about how dreadfull it is to have to actually
*run squeak* in order to build a vm.

tim
Strange OpCodes: EIV: Erase IPL Volume