Fear and loathing of the "perification" of Smalltalk

Peter William Lount peter at smalltalk.org
Tue Sep 4 18:42:37 UTC 2007

Peter William Lount wrote:
> Mark Volkmann wrote:
>> On Sep 4, 2007, at 1:08 PM, Peter William Lount wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>> Do you know where I could find a BNF chart for Smalltalk? I've
>> searched for grammars and came up empty.
>>
>> ---
>> Mark Volkmann
>>

> Hi Mark,
>
> The Smalltalk Blue Book has a copy of the original BNF as a visual
> diagram at the back of the book, pages 737 through 741.
>
> You can download a pdf copy form ACM.org here:
> http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=273&coll=ACM&dl=ACM&CFID=28725035&CFTOKEN=39135639
>

> Peter

Hi Mark,

Cincom has a verbal bnf for their Smalltalk here:
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cincomsmalltalk.com%2Fdocumentation%2Fvw7.5%2FAppDevGuide.pdf&ei=1KXdRpnQIIGGgAPppsCGAw&usg=AFQjCNFNd3fkAEkDTxneWjgZJL0MP2HwJg&sig2=O2xarVwQAjLHpryc48pbFg

Maybe James Robertson would be able to provide a copy of their BNF for
discussion purposes.

I think it's an excellent idea to collect all the current Smalltalk BNFs
so we can see the true horror or beauty of the situation... before we
make significant changes.

By the way I'm ALL for experimental changes but we need a means where
those changes become part of a "standard Smalltalk".

All the best,

Peter