Fear and loathing of the "perification" of Smalltalk

Peter William Lount peter at smalltalk.org
Tue Sep 4 18:53:06 UTC 2007

Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Peter> The Perlification of Smalltalk: Curly Braces and the Road to PerlCrypticTalk.
>
> I respectfully request that you not use Perl as a swear word in my presence.
>
> :)

Hi,

Well it's not meant as a swear word exactly. It's meant as a comparison
between the simple Smalltalk syntax and the complex mess that is the
Perl syntax.  I was thinking of apologizing to the Perl community for
coining the phrase "perlification". Sorry about that but it's
descriptive beyond belief. Please accept my apology. I would have used
"APLification" but I didn't think that many would get it as well as the
Perl version.

Please see "The Simplicity and Power Comes from the Smalltalk Syntax"
linked here: http://smalltalk.org/articles/article_20040914_a1.html.

Cheers,

Peter