Fear and loathing of the "perlification" of Smalltalk

Peter William Lount peter at smalltalk.org
Wed Sep 5 02:36:13 UTC 2007

Mathieu Suen wrote:
> On Sep 5, 2007, at 2:45 AM, Peter William Lount wrote:
>
>> I wonder Alan, if you could, expand on what you mean by "but it needs
>> to be done at the same level as regular programming (so it can be
>> used by any base version of the language)"?
>
> I thinks he mean: don't add syntactic rules when you are using your
> language.
>
>     Mth

Hi,

Yes, that's the point I'm making as well in this thread of emails and
articles on http://www.smalltalk.org:  "Don't add syntactic rules when
you are using your language unless there is no other alternative or
unless it provides a compelling advantage."

A special category of exceptions to library only extensions exist that
enable the opening of a new dimension of capability. For example, blocks
enable anyone to create new control flow structures in Smalltalk. It's
still surprising how people are continuously innovating in with methods
for blocks and unique ways of using them. I look for opportunities to
enhance a language syntax that create these new dimensions. I see the
gap of possibilities and a few innovative ways of using it but it's how
big the gap is that's key.

The curly braces don't create a new dimension of possibility beyond the
few uses since the the curly braces are not extensible in the class
libraries. However, the block version of continuously collecting
statement evaluations does enable a new dimension.  I don't know all the
uses. But already in this discussion someone found one, by adding a
third evaluator for concurrency purposes. That's not just another use
but an entire other dimension found! Now to implement them and extend
the power of blocks into the future.

Other languages are catching up and surpassing Smalltalk - we need to
keep up and jet to the future.

Peter