Fear and loathing of the "perlification" of Smalltalk

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Wed Sep 5 08:24:46 UTC 2007

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 21:35:43 -0700, Jason Johnson
<jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think the "implicit self" concept has been very successful in
> practice.  Last I heard, in C++ the best practices were to always
> explicitly call this.

One rarely sees "Self" in Delphi. The constant references to "self" is one
of the clunkier things about Smalltalk, in my view, and is inconsistent to
boot (you have to use self to access methods but not fields?).

> It does need a powerful way of packaging (perhaps what VW has is the
> way to go?), multi-methods like Lisp has would be good if one could
> figure out a syntactical way of specifying that and I think adding
> macros to the standard could be nice as well.  But beyond that I
> really can't think of anything I would change syntax-wise.

I've always felt macros tended to obscure things, but then I've only used
them in things like the C-family and PL/I.