Fear and loathing of the "perlification" of Smalltalk

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Wed Sep 5 20:20:13 UTC 2007

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 10:19:52 -0700, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> Gronk? What is clunky about a uniform, consistent syntax that has us
> a) name the recipient
> b) name the message to send to it
> c) name any parameters to include with the message
> Having a special case that lets you leave out the recipient if it is
> 'self' would be clunky, confusing and tasteless.

What's the point of having a context if you don't use it?

	self position: (self position + newPos - self center) asIntegerPoint.

versus:

	position: (position + newPos - center) asIntegerPoint

Yes. I see how that's not only clunky and confusing BUT tasteless. Worse
than combining plaid with stripes.

:-P~~~~~

Here's another horrid example from the Wiki entry on the abomination known
as "Self":

	valid: base bottom between: ligature bottom + height And: base top /
scale factor.

and here we see the oh-so-elegant improvements ST-80 makes:

	valid := self base bottom between: self ligature bottom + self height
and: self base top / self scale factor.

Mmmmmm. =Tasteful=!