Ideas for a refactoring with traits?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Sep 6 15:59:47 UTC 2007

Andrew Tween wrote:
> You could look at the CharacterScanner and MultiCharacterScanner
> hierarchies.

That's probably not worth it. MultiCharacterScanner was written to
replace CharacterScanner, a step which simply was never completed in
Squeak. Yes, you can probably use traits to squeeze out some duplicated
code but if you'd seriously consider using both you wouldn't have
started the duplicated hierarchy to begin with. It's entire purpose was
to replace CharacterScanner in situ.

If Alejandro is looking for challenges, here are two:
1) The metaclass kernel of Squeak. Yes, it is written as traits already.
But that hasn't exactly improved its clarity (quite to the contrary I
would argue). I'd be quite interested to see whether there is an
alternative that actually improves it.
2) Morphic. How's that for a challenge :) And if that's way too big then
maybe Pavel's minimal Morphic of Juan's Morphic 3.0. What I'd be curious
about is whether there is a real improvement to be gained by factoring
the numerous responsibilities into traits or not.

Cheers,
   - Andreas