Fear and loathing of the "perlification" of Smalltalk

nicolas cellier ncellier at ifrance.com
Thu Sep 6 18:49:45 UTC 2007

Jason Johnson a écrit :
> On 9/5/07, nicolas cellier <ncellier at ifrance.com> wrote:
>> I like the idea of the language being more contextual. Mathematical
>> language concision come from such feature. Put in another context, a
>> mathematical expression meaning can change.
>
> I think Smalltalk has already shown it chooses readability over math
> by being one of the few languages that doesn't make you memorize
> evaluation rules for math expressions.  And I like this.
>
> Programming is essentially managing complexity, so the simpler you can
> make the language the easier it is to manage the complexity of the
> problem you're solving.  And if you can find a way to make this simple
> language concise as well, then you have a winner.

Yeah, on the other hand, try to do math in spoken language and see how
far and fast you go in demonstrations.

Mathematical notations is a huge progress to express complex ideas in
synthetic form. I'm sure the language changes our way of thinking. Math
language is a winner to do math.

Could math language really achieve this goal without being contextual?
I doubt it.