Invite from Robert Stehwien

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Fri Sep 7 07:31:39 UTC 2007

Hi Robert!

> I would like to apologize for this.  Don't sign up whatever you do.

I admit my first thought was "How stupid is that guy?"... ;)

But welcome to the Squeak community! :)

And oh, btw, I noticed you are (still?) fishing for a thesis, here is one
idea:

Implement the idea of "publish/subscribe model of developer events" using
p2p and investigate how it changes the interaction patterns within an open
source community.

This would cover p2p, collaboration and possibly also visual programming.
It also does not really exist so the effects on a community would be
"something new" to dissect. On the other hand it also slightly depends on
you being successful in implementing it and getting users.

The base idea is to add a publish subscribe model more or less on top of
SystemChangeNotifier (which broadcasts events for every source code change
you do) and then let each developer decide what to broadcast and what to
subscribe to (globally).

Then you can turn these events into visual cues in the development tools -
like "2 other people on the globe has modified this class during the last
hour" or "this class is being browsed by 5 other people right now" etc.
Endless possibilities of near real time collaboration! :)

regards, Göran