Asscociation equality (was: Re: When are 2 CompiledMethods = [incl: Float>>nan])

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Sep 11 05:36:56 UTC 2007

Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
> on Sun, 09 Sep 2007 11:26:58 +0200, you wrote:
>> Revert Association>>= to what it used to be and everything will be
>> fine (Association>>= is really, really badly broken; it causes
>> problems all over the places and this is one of them).
>
> That's a very, very good one, thanks for reminding us of that open issue.
>
> Since the compiler machinery (BytecodeGenerator) already uses
> #literalEqual: and I want Decompiler to use the same comparision for
> literals, it'll be easy to put #literalEqual: into Association without
> touching its current #= implementation. In a later step it's perhaps
> possible to really, really revert #= in Association.

I only wish I knew *why* this got changed in the first place. Both,
#hash and #= have Marcus' initials on it - can someone perhaps ask him
why that change was needed or desirable? I'm afraid there may be some
non-obvious users of that change but since I can't track down exactly
where this happened I really don't know where to even start looking.

Cheers,
   - Andreas