Comments

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 05:59:20 UTC 2007

Well, this brings up a good point.  After using Smalltalk for a while
I actually *do* feel that the language is somewhat "self documenting"
(i.e. it reads often like english).  But there are 2 places that the
code can't help with documentation; (1) why did you do this? and (2)
why did you change it from what you had before?

In the first case nothing can help but a comment.  In the second case
the tools, e.g. ChangeSet can show us *what* was done before, but I
think we need a way to add comments to change sets to explain *why* it
was changed at all.  Without this, people will look at the old version
and say "hrm, why did this guy change it?  The older version looks
obviously better" and off they go to relive old mistakes.  Or maybe
something has changed and the old way should be used again, but you
can't know without some kind of comment.