Comments

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Sep 12 17:09:23 UTC 2007

Blake wrote:
> But, really, how do you apply it in practice to something like the read
> accessors to "numerator" and "denominator" in Fraction?

numerator
	"Integer - The number of parts in a fraction (written above
	the line of a fraction). See also denominator."
	^numerator

denominator
	"Integer - The number of parts that make a whole in a fraction
	(written below the line of a fraction). Cannot be zero since
	nothing can be divided into zero parts. See also numerator."
	^denominator

> Some accessors really are both necessary, simple and not needing
> documentation.

Numerator and denominator are no such accessors for sure. First, they
describe pretty complex objects and just because *you* know what these
mean doesn't mean everybody else does. Secondly, the denominator has
even exceptional conditions (like that it can't be zero) which is *most
definitely* in need of commenting. I'm sorry but your example falls far
short of the point you're trying to make.

Cheers,
   - Andreas