Assembly Language

Chris Cunnington cunnington at sympatico.ca
Fri Sep 14 21:50:06 UTC 2007

Thank you very much for replying. Well, I'm newish to computers and
programming. I'm surrounded at the computer clubs I attend here in Toronto
such as Unix Unanimous, The Toronto Linux Users Group, The Beach Outings
Club (my Smalltalk club) by people who have been programming forever.

I'm also a member of the Toronto PET Users Group, which has been going since
1979. That's PET as in Personal Electronic Transactor from 1977 and
Commodore. Next week I'll be going to TPUG to attend a discussion about Demo
programming. That's in the Demoscene, which is mainly Europeans writing
video demonstrations and SID chip music on their Commodore 64's and Amigas.
Wild, really, that they do that.

I mentioned Jim Butterfield, because I wasn't programming in the early
1980s, and I know he's famous amongst people here in Toronto and, obviously,
at TPUG, so I assumed you'd heard of him. A bit of a stretch, I guess.

So, I'm interested in 6502 assembler, and I just bought Randal Hyde's "The
Art of Assembly Language" for the 80x86 set. The point of this is that I've
gotten into a large topic -- computer programming -- and I keep trying to
see it from different points of view. Assembly seems to me another great,
bottom up way to learn about this stuff. Being surrounded by people who know
so much more can be anxiety producing, so I'm climbing the learning curve,
and I favour the historical approach, thus the interest in old computers,
Commodore, and such.

I liked playing Gemstone Warrior. Actually all my brothers and sister did.

Commodore 64. Still Ready.

Cheers,

Chris Cunnington