OLPC Cost Rises To $188 Per Laptop

gafisher gafisher at sprynet.com
Sat Sep 15 12:09:23 UTC 2007

Yes, I'm afraid third-world countries will probably avoid paying for these
in US Dollars and the dream will die, just as when crude oil went above $35
a barrel and the auto industry collapsed.  <G>

Seriously, the quoted $188 price relates at least as much to currency
exchange rates as to intrinsic cost, and I don't believe the OLPC was being
built in the US anyway, nor is it being made to be sold in the US.  Let's
see what the current cost is in Pulas or Escudos or Dalisis or the currency
of whatever other target markets exist and consider the issue on that basis.

Gary