Assembly Language

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 22:03:52 UTC 2007

CC'ed to the hardware list

On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 02:26:47PM -0700, Peter William Lount wrote:
> Each of the Tile 64 Processors is thousands of more times more powerful
> than that old 6502 based Apple ][ system. I can imagine what Gemstone
> Warrior would be like on it! Fully object oriented, fully message
> oriented, fully 4-D (3D+Time)!
>
> If you really want a chip to play with as a hobby with potential for
> future success play with the Tile 64 chip!
>
> Smalltalk on the Tile 64 chip will be hot! When will it happen?

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. is working on a quite similar project. He is
putting Neo Smalltalk [1] on a 9-core Plurion [2] processor. He
has said he will follow this up with a port of Spoon. More
information can be found on his hardware Swiki [3].

I'll be working with him on this project as part of my graduate studies.

[1]. Neo Smalltalk:
     http://www.merlintec.com:8080/software
     http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5637

[2]. A very out-of-date description of Plurion architecture:
     http://www.merlintec.com/download/plurion.pdf

     A description of the actual processor being used:
     http://www.merlintec.com:8080/hardware/32

[3]. Jecel's hardware Swiki:
     http://www.merlintec.com:8080/hardware