Squeak by Example officially released

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at free.fr
Tue Sep 18 12:49:27 UTC 2007

Hi jimmie

We understood correctly your question and suggestion. This is just
that we are all running out of time.

On 17 sept. 07, at 08:16, Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> Blake wrote:
>> On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 20:43:22 -0700, Jimmie Houchin
>> <j.squeak at cyberhaus.us> wrote:
>>> Do the proceeds from the print books (or PDF) go to the authors
>>> or to Squeak Foundation, ESUG, university,...? I don't really
>>> know if there is much after the printing to go anywhere? If it
>>> goes to the Squeak Foundation or something it would be nice to
>>> know. Put that information on the book's pages. It might help
>>> with print sales.
>> I suppose I'm biased, but I'm happy to see the proceeds go to the
>> authors.
>
> I have absolutely no problem with proceeds going to the authors. I
> like authors being blessed. They've put in a lot of work and
> deserve to be rewarded for their labors.
>
> So my apologies if I gave any other impression. But the word
> contribution is used in reference to paying for the PDF. So it
> somewhat brings a different thought to what the money is going
> towards.
>
> If the contribution is going to honor and bless the labors of the
> authors, that is great. No problem. The laborer is worthy of his
> hire. But if it is going to an organization, it would be nice to
> know what organization. Possibly the Square Bracket Association and
> the funding of more Squeak, Smalltalk books.
>
> Personally, I would love to see more people making good livings
> with Squeak.

Me too. This is our goal to make squeak a cool system to build
applications and the future.
However we did not write this book for making money

> Anyway, I am very grateful for this resource. May it bless its
> authors immensely even if not from the profits of the book. May the
> Squeak community be blessed by this effort and may it bear much fruit.

Now if the squeak community wants to make this book a success this
will be great.
This is always better to write on our cv that our own published book
sold a lot :)

Stef