Quick comparison of two Namespaces proposals

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 22:24:42 UTC 2007

On 9/19/07, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19/09/2007, Michael van der Gulik <mikevdg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Array is a class, not a message. This is /not/ elegant and simply
> doesn't
> > make sense. This is my last comment on this approach.
> >
> > What is possible is:
> >
> > self add: (Kernel-Array new: 4).
> >
> > Here, #- is a message.
> >

> Again, discussion downs not to about how namespaces should behave, but
> to choosing appropriate and  conventional syntax for it. Personally, i
> don't think its really matters.
> Please, people, lets focus on more important things, if you don't want
> to flame this topic, like in previous 'pipe syntax'.

Unfortunately, this is important to discuss. It does end up becoming a
bike-shed discussion, but in about five years time when most programmers in
the world will be using Squeak, the namespacing syntax they use will be the
result of this discussion.

I'm still undecided as to which syntax to use and open to suggestions. I'll
give it a week or so.

Michael.