My namespace proposal described in Yet Another Try

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 00:01:04 UTC 2007

On 9/20/07, Ramon Leon <ramon.leon at allresnet.com> wrote:

> Any "real" namespaces solution will eventually be rejected because it's
> not
> a small change and a vocal part of the community doesn't want it, just
> wait,
> you'll see.

I'm aware of this. I think it's a shame because almost every other
programming language supports encapsulated namespaces. Even C does to some
extent - if you don't #include code, you can't use it.

I plan to keep my namespaces packages available and maintained on the
PackageUniverse so it's there if people want to use it. It also happily
co-exists in an image next to the SystemDictionary, so no great sacrifices
are made to use it. The main issue is that I gave up trying to get
Monticello to save Namespaced code[1], so you need to use my own proprietary
packaging format.

Gulik.

[1] http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg/#6