My namespace proposal described in Yet Another Try

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Thu Sep 20 08:24:04 UTC 2007

Hi Ramon!

>> > Any "real" namespaces solution will eventually be rejected because
>> > it's not a small change and a vocal part of the community
>> doesn't want
>> > it, just wait, you'll see.
>>
>> And also - all people rejecting any "real" solution (although
>> I tend to argue with that choice of word) - are not entirely
>> wrong either.
>>
>> regards, Göran
>
> By *real* I mean other overly complicated hierarchtical package managing,
> code securing, auto class rename on importing, whiz-bang solutions that
> 99%
> of us don't really need (obviously since we don't have that now).  I just
> want the damned browser to hide the prefixes (aka manual namespaces) like
> it
> formats the code, a simple aesthetic preference.  Nice, simple, keeps
> Smalltalk as is, one global namespace, no imports, no ambiguity, just a
> smarter view and a change small enough, with so little object to, that it
> might actually happen within my lifetime.  As it stands, it's by far the
> most pragmatic solution on the table.
>
> Ramon Leon

My check is in the mail, is 100 enough? Ehm, oops, I just mailed this to
the list.... ;)

Let me just point out a few current issues that we need to fix:

- Currently I render class references by using a *full parse* of the
method and fixing up the global references. This is of course the REAL way
to do it and only touches REAL global references and not stuff in comments
or what not. But it punishes browsing code of course, it feels slower. I
haven't looked closely at it - perhaps I did something stupid, but I also
toyed with hooking into Shout which obviously also is parsing code and
does it fast!

- Some tools are not caught by my low level hook, like method versions
browser for example. Need to catch.

- I have a vague recollection of filing out not properly working, I
probably shot myself in the foot somehow.

So... it is definitely not yet perfectly ready to go in - but with a bit
of work I think it would easily be.

regards, Göran