[ANN][Squeak-dev Mini Image] Version sqMinidev07.09.1

Pavel Krivanek squeak1 at continentalbrno.cz
Fri Sep 21 06:21:41 UTC 2007

On 9/20/07, Ralph Johnson <johnson at cs.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> On 9/20/07, Damien Cassou <damien.cassou at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > thanks to Pavel, I finally managed to create a squeak-dev image based
> > on his MinimalMorphic. This image can be found at
> > http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev/beta/experimental.
>
> This is great!  How did you get past the preferences problem, i.e. how
> did you get them to work?

PreferenceBrowser comes with ViewRegistry subclasses and for the
default preferences the correct view registry class is returned
according to its name. It's not optimal solution but it gives us
little more time to think out better one ;-) It's not handy to need
PreferenceBrowser as the prerequisite of all packages that want to
create own preferences and want to set own preferenceView for it.

> The first thing I did was to try to run tests, but TestRunner gets a
> DNU when it accesses TestReporter in its class method
> defaultSelectors, since TestReporter is not defined.

The KernelImage packages were upgraded to correspond to Squeak 3.10
#7145 but it seems that the TestRunner has different sources. Damien
loaded another version that seems to be older.
I have to prepare the next revision of KernelImage packages overrides
to determine exactly its relation to Squeak 3.10 and see if some
changes aren't missing. When will be the final release?

One wish to Edgar - please put the ScrollableField with 3.10 history
into the window (halos-menu-extras-put in a window)

The next task I have to do is
- fix MinimalMorphic loading from the Kernel (the old Kernel package
is now fragmented into Kernel and Base package - as the result of
license conversion process)
- test the MinimalMorphic uloading. As the result it will be possible
to take MimimalMorphic image and shrink it to the new Kernel - and
then load all this packages simply again. If all packages will offer
the clean unloading, it should be possible to do that with every
image.

> I was able to open the Universe Browser, but when I selected (more or
> less at random) Connectors and tried to load it, I got an error.  Did
> you use Package Universe to build your image?  I would imagine that an
> image based on MinimalMorphic needs a different universe than 3.10.
>
> -Ralph

I guess that Connectors use lot of stuff from EToys so I'm not
surprised with this result :-) But I'm little bit surprised that it
was possible to load all basic DeveloperImage packages without major
problems ;-) Thank you, Damien.

Cheers,
-- Pavel