C-style continuations (was Re: Quick comparison of two Namespaces proposals)

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Sun Sep 23 08:49:02 UTC 2007

Brent Pinkney wrote:
> 1. VisualAge's decision to use C-syle call stacks instead of proper
> objects prevented the use of continuations.

Just to nitpick, continuations can be perfectly well implemented even in
C (I have done so before, using setjmp/longjmp and stack copying, based
on a technique I saw used in Aubrey Jaffer's SCM interpreter), so it
seems to me that the problem is perhaps more one of a lack of complete
*reflective access* to the C-style stack than anything to do with the
implementation in the VM itself.

Of course, I haven't investigated VisualAge for myself, so I could well
be off base here.

Regards,
   Tony