My namespace proposal described in Yet Another Try

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Sun Sep 23 12:06:55 UTC 2007

"Chris Muller" <asqueaker at gmail.com> writes:
> Well I have to admit, there seems to be no harm in doing Göran's
> proposal.  It's an incremental step forward that should buy us a LOT
> of time, probably as much as we'll ever need.  Also, like he said,
> does not preclude migrating to any other namespace solutions in the
> future.

That is an important consideration.  If it is truly incremental, then
that is a really nice property.

However, is it really?  How will we migrate forward to a hierarchical
system where Array is at Collections::Core::Array instead of at
Collections::Array ?  There will already be code everywhere using
Collections::Array .

This all sounds very hasty to me.  Instead of endlessly evaluating a
quick and dirty scheme, how about the enthusiasts get together and
make a system where:

  1. Baby code in a starter image can mostly ignore namespaces.

  2. A full hierarchy is available, not just one level.

  3. Import lists are localized.

  4. The source code does not need automatic rewriting
     in order to look nice.

This is a doable list of properties, and I believe it could be solved
faster than trying to convince everybody to use something incomplete.

For bonus points, don't forget to check on the existing systems like
GST's and VisualWork's, and don't forget to poll the major producers
of Squeak code about what they want.

Lex