PR Team Request: Submit this story to Slashdot

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 22:11:59 UTC 2007

> http://slashdot.org/firehose.pl?op=view&id=303781

Please don't take this personally, but I see a number of problems with
the submission:

1. Squeak isn't the "OLPC version of Smalltalk".  It's a dialect of
Smalltalk that was selected for the OLPC, due to it's traditionally
deep focus on education.

2. The phrase 'Squeak is the "official" version chosen and used by Dr.
Alan Kay' is ambiguous... official version of what?  I know you mean
Smalltalk, but at best, it's poorly worded.

3. The phrase "With millions of OLPC computers expected soon to be in
the hands of the upcoming generation, it will be an advantage, perhaps
a requirement, for developers to master Squeak." is rather silly, and
seems like breathless hyperbole.  Particularly since it's not like
Squeak is the only venue for developing applications for the OLPC (at
minimum, there's Python, and I would assume straight Linux binaries
would work, as well).  Really, that entire statement could be nixed,
though I'd probably go with something like "With millions of OLPC
computers soon to be in the hands of children throughout the world,
such a resource could prove valuable to those interested in developing
new applications for the platform", or something along those lines.

With all that said, I'd prefer something like the following:

'With the recent announcement of the <link>Give-One-Get-One</link>
OLPC program, and the growing popularity of software such as
<link>"Squeak By Example"</link>, a freely available book covering the
popular <link>Squeak</link> dialect of Smalltalk, seems all the more
timely.  Within, readers will find a gentle introduction to the
language and environment, along with hands-on examples and exercises
suitable for novices, teachers and developers alike.  With millions of
OLPC computers soon to be in the hands of children throughout the
world, such a resource could prove valuable to those interested in
developing new applications for the platform.'

Or something along those lines, anyway. :)

Brett.