PR Team Follow Up

CHRIS CUNNINGTON cunnington at sympatico.ca
Sun Sep 30 09:13:56 UTC 2007

Dear Squeakers,

I'm writing this to follow up our recent effort to get Squeak By Example
Slashdotted. Unless somebody has evidence to the contrary, I think our
effort to get Slashdotted is -- for now -- at an end. I made the PR Team
request on Wednesday. At least five people did submit the story to Slashdot.
The status of my submission was 'pending' for two days, until Friday. Then
it was rejected. I'm assuming that the others have also been rejected.

My impression of this is that the editors did not know what to do with the
story and so left it in the Firehose section to see what kind of reaction
the story had on the Slashdot forums. There was not a great deal of forum
activity for the story, and so I think they took that as an indication that
they could pass the story over.

That's OK. One Slashdoting does not a new future for Squeak make. What I
think is most important here is how positive and willing the Squeak
community was to take this idea seriously. Nobody thought trying to get
Slashdotted was a waste of time. It is my impression that people in the
Squeak community are ready for a higher profile. If the community starts to
think in this way, and this is something that Squeakers want, then we can
make it happen over time.

Chris Cunnington
PR Team leader