[squeak-dev] The Old Man

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Apr 1 09:29:30 UTC 2008

On 31.03.2008, at 17:10, Nikolay Suslov wrote:
> Bert,
>
> Please, could you be more concrete, what means: "people do for fun"?
> (CADT - is not an explanation ..as it is joking)
> I could argue that the all significant projects were doing by people
> not for getting "fun" from the "developement or any other
> process" (aka "masturbation", if seriously),
> but with the generous, unselfish ideas of  "changing the around
> world" and continuing themeselves in project's "childs".
> Don't think that all people just working for money or for "fun"
> while eating chocolate, gaming and drinking beer after work.. and
> believe, that nothing "fun" for the rest of the world couldn't be
> expected from such work (paid or unpaid)..

I was not implying that - I was referring to the many abandoned
projects, not the active, flourishing ones. Again, Marcus would have
to be more specific what specifically he had in mind. One example of
"the perfect is the enemy of the good" are the series of JIT compiler
implementations, none of which were finished, so Squeak still pretty
much has the same interpreter it had ten years ago. The positive way
of expressing CADT would be "burn the disk packs" and in particular in
a research environment that is indeed the best you can do. It's simply
a different motivation - do you build to have, or do you build to
know? The latter does not require completion to be successful.

- Bert -