[squeak-dev] Re: Problems installing FFI on 3.10 release

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Apr 2 05:54:57 UTC 2008

Colin Putney wrote:

> On 1-Apr-08, at 2:27 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> WHERE THE HELL IS CLASS VAR REFS IN OB???
>
> Click on a class. Choose "chase variables" from the context menu. Click
> the "class" tab.

Yeah, that was just the thing that pushed me over the edge. I was seeing
myself working in five-seconds intervals trying to find my way through
OB via "click ... wait five seconds ... no wrong place ... click ...
wait five more seconds ... no still wrong place ... click ... wait five
more seconds .... etc" and since I had just been through that painful
process in the Universe browser I just couldn't bear the thought of my
valuable spare time wasted in that way. If there would have been a
"class var refs" straight from the OB menu I might have fixed it but
that was just too much for me.

BTW, I just tried this again and OB is terribly confusing - if you
happen to have the "class" tab selected "chase variables" gives you the
metaclass variables which is really confusing. So you need to know that
when you want to look at a class var that is being used by a class
method you have to select "instance", "chase pointers", and the "class"
tab again; where the same operation without first selecting "instance"
ends you up in Object>>DependentsFields. Very confusing.

>> Giving up. This is completely and utterly unusable. Every single step
>> takes five seconds or more. I have never seen a Squeak image that has
>> frustrated me more and that made the simplest and most basic things
>> painful and unusable.
>
> No kidding. I was particularly frustrated by Monticello 1.5. I tried
> reverting to an earlier release that's been a workhorse for me, but it
> seems to have some trait-related problems... gave up for now.

I was wondering about the purpose of MC 1.5. I *thought* its whole
reason for existence was to support atomic loading. Now that I find out
that that's not true it makes me wonder what it has over the "regular" MC?

Cheers,
   - Andreas