[squeak-dev] jitter (was: The Old Man)

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Wed Apr 2 08:26:38 UTC 2008

Hi folks!

"Sebastian Sastre" <ssastre at seaswork.com> wrote:
> > > downside is that it would inherently be much more complex - the
> > > interpreter strikes a nice balance here.
> >
> > The first jitter had the advantage of being cross-platform,
> > but as I had
> > predicted it only improved performance by around 50% which is
> > less than
> > what we got by making the interpreter better. The second jitter (known
> > as Jitter3) was actually finished as far as I can tell.
[SNIP]
> 	 thanks for informing about the state of jitter. Those 3 million
> sends/sec more represents a nice pie of 30% better sends/sec. That jitter can
> make team work with current interpreter? An updated and ported jitter, for lets
> say 3dot10, you will say it sum performance near that 30% in sends?

If I remember correctly Jitter3 was actually a VM written in C++, Ian
can correct me if I am wrong. And if my memory serves correctly it
didn't show as impressive numbers in "real world scenarios" as compared
to benchmarks simply due to the fact that most real world Squeak apps
spend 50% of their time in primitives and those aren't affected.

(modulo my memory failing me of course)

My perception in all this is that Exupery is the *clearly* most
promising speed technology we have available and it is getting faster
and faster all the time. And it works together with the normal VM.

The numbers Exupery shows today with normal Squeak are very impressive
and the numbers Exupery shows in Huemul are even faster - due to some
improvements that Guillermo could make due to the fact that he has full
control of the design of the VM, if I understand it correctly.

Fonc/cola/coke can also turn out to be really fast - but that is a whole
new platform, not really "Squeak".

regards, Göran