[squeak-dev] Re: Upgrading running servers?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Apr 4 18:14:41 UTC 2008

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 04.04.2008, at 08:42, Avi Bryant wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 7:25 PM, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
>>> We currently don't do this mostly because I'm unaware of a low-latency
>>> proxy/forwarding solution that we could use (obviously we're more
>>> concerned
>>> about latency than most web-based services). What do you use to
>>> redirect the
>>> incoming connections?
>>
>> We use Apache with mod_proxy.  This is fine for HTTP (the extra
>> latency literally gets lost in the noise), but a chattier protocol
>> would be different, of course.  I wonder if someone who knew their way
>> around ipfw could rig something up...
>
> Yes, iptables magic came to my mind, too. This would have very low
> latency overhead, I doubt it would be measurable at all.

Can iptables look at the content of a connection? The problem is that if
a user is in a forum and another one tries to join him, they need to end
up in the same image (at least right now). And we can't use different
ports for this - we run through firewalls and NATs and all sorts of
insane corporate IT setups so the choice of port is not completely ours.

Cheers,
   - Andreas