[squeak-dev] Problems installing FFI on 3.10 release

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 4 20:01:12 UTC 2008

Igor Stasenko wrote:
> 2008/4/1 Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk>:
>
>> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>

>>> Anyone tried to install subject onto fresh 3.10 image?
>>>
>>> It stops with error, trying to react on class change notification,
>>> while it's own internal structures still not initialized (StructTypes
>>> classvar).
>>> Seem like a simple order of initialization bug.
>>>

>>  Packages which depend upon a specific initialization order are coming
>> unstuck in the latest MC1.5
>>

> Yes, it looks like bug in MC. Because in CLEAN Squeak3dot10.7159.image
> it loaded ok.
> But after i installed LPF & Installer, FFI fails to load.
>

>>  Keith

I specifically reversed the order in which post load actions are
executed. This ensures that overriding methods get loaded after the
method which they are overriding.

Ok, I put it another way....  if your package depends upon a specific
initialization order, it shouldnt. Nowhere is it defined that class A
will recieve #initialize before class B. So strictly speaking it is not
a bug in MC1.5 and it isn't easily fixed in MC1.5 at present.

Keith